Eco-Heater Radiant Wall Heater
My son was born in March 2010, at the tail end of one of mild little Delaware’s coldest, snowiest winters on record. This meant I was “nesting” during a very cold winter. Living in this big, drafty, old house, and this being my first-born, I was understandably very concerned about keeping him warm once he emerged from the womb. We have an old oil-fired boiler/radiator heating system, with old to no insulation in some of our walls. HVAC renovation is a huge and pricey undertaking that we are trying to approach in stages. Meanwhile, we need to keep warm!
A good friend, Patti of theclothspring.com, told me about these wall-mounted high efficiency heaters made by ECO-Heater. She had purchased one for her own son’s nursery and swore by it as a good secondary heat source. She was not wrong!
While this heater is only powerful enough to keep a small room warm on its own, it is PERFECT as a secondary heat source. In other words, when we turn our thermostat WAY down at night, this little doozy keeps our son’s room nice and toasty without ever getting too hot. This allows us to keep our oil bill “low” without worrying about our little dude catching a cold in his own bedroom!
A quick overview of the features - check out the manufacturer’s website for full details….
- Safe – When fully heated, the panel feels hot to the touch, but not hot enough to burn unless you were to keep your hand sitting on there. My son has touched it, said “Hot!” and removed his hand and is fine.
- Healthy – Because this is a radiant type of heat, it is not blowing all sorts of dust, dander, and what-have-you around the room as it heats. And it is SILENT.
- Steady – This unit does take time (about a half hour for a small to medium size bedroom) to make a difference in the room temperature, but it is slow and steady and won’t leave you waking up in a sweat an hour after you fall asleep. There is even a thermostat adapter available which will turn the unit on at 35 degrees (f) and off at 45 degrees (f). (Click here for additional thermostat options.)
- Easy – Easy to install and to operate!
- Unobtrusive – Mounts flat approximately3/4″ from the wall, and is paintable to match your walls or to do something creative!
Please note: Reading through a few of the reviews on Amazon, I see that cracks in the heater soon after installation have happened to a few users. We’ve had ours for two years now and not had one problem. I have to wonder if those who have cracks were a little over-aggressive when mounting to the wall and exerted too much pressure on the unit? Also, it is important whenever possible to mount these units on an interior wall, so that the temperature difference is minimal and the unit does not have to work as hard.
One more note – this was not a sponsored post – I wish it was! I paid for this heater out of my own pocket and I would (and probably will!) do it again!